Gmail: Setting Up a Gmail Account
Lesson 2: Setting Up a Gmail Account
Setting up a Gmail account is easy. You will begin by creating a Google account, and during the quick sign-up process you will choose your Gmail account name. In this lesson, we'll show you how to set up your Google account for Gmail, add and edit contacts, and edit your mail settings.
Setting up a Gmail account
To create a Gmail address, you'll first need to create a Google account. Gmail will redirect you to the Google account sign-up page. You'll need to provide some basic information like your name, birth date, gender, and location. You will also need to choose a name for your new Gmail address. Once you create an account, you'll be able to start adding contacts and adjusting your mail settings.
To create an account:
- Go to www.gmail.com.
- Click Create account.
- The sign-up form will appear. Follow the directions by entering the required information.
- Next, enter your phone number to verify your account. Google uses a two-step verification process for your security.
- You will receive a text message from Google with a verification code. Enter the code to complete the account verification.
- Next, you will see a form to enter some of your personal information, like your name and birthday.
- Your account will be created.
Just like with any online service, it's important to choose a strongpasswordin other words, one that is difficult for someone else to guess. For more information, review our lesson on creating strong passwords.
Signing in to your account
When you first create your account, you will be automatically signed in. Most of the time, however, you'll need to sign in to your account and sign out when you're done with it. Signing out is especially important if you're using a shared computer (for example, at a library or office) because it prevents others from viewing your emails.
To sign in:
- Go to www.gmail.com.
- Type your user name (your email address) and password, then click Next.
To sign out:
In the top-right corner of the page, locate the circle that has your first initial (if you've already selected an avatar image, it will show the image instead). To sign out, click the circle and select Sign out.
Occasionally, you may want to make adjustments to Gmail's appearance or behavior. For example, you could create a signature or vacation reply, edit your labels, or change the theme. These adjustments can be made from your mail settings.
To access your mail settings:
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page, then select Settings.
- From here, you can click any of the categories at the top to edit the desired settings.
Like all major email providers, Gmail lets you keep an address book of contacts so you don't have to memorize everyone's email addresses. You can also add other contact information, like phone numbers, birthdays, and physical addresses.
To add a contact:
- Click the Google apps button.
- Click the Contacts button in the drop-down menu.
- Your contacts screen will appear. Click the Add new contact button in the lower-right corner.
- Enter the contact information, then click Save.
To edit a contact:
- In the Google apps drop-down menu, select Contacts.
- Locate the contact you want to edit, then click Edit Contact.
- You can now make any changes you want to the contact.
By default, when you send an email to a new address, Gmail adds the address to your contacts. You can then go to your contacts to edit the person's information as needed.
Importing mail and contacts
You may already have a contact list from another email address, and it would be a lot of work to re-enter all of this information manually. Gmail allows you to import your contacts from another email account, and you can even import all of your email messages from that account. Several email providers are supported, including Yahoo!, Hotmail, and AOL.
To add other accounts:
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page, then select Settings.
- Go to Accounts and click Add a mail account. You can then follow the instructions on the screen to import your mail.
- If you do not already have a Gmail account, create one.
- Open Gmail.
- Navigate to your Gmail settings.
- Set your preferences in your Gmail settings.
- Add a new contact. You can either add one you already know, or if you'd like you can create one with the following information:
Name: Julia Fillory
How to create a Gmail account
By Sean Riley
Here's how to create a Gmail account in a few easy steps
Are you wondering how to create a new Gmail account? Whether you need a second (or a seventh) email address or are looking to create your very first email account, Gmail is a fantastic option.
Google makes the setup quick and easy and Gmail offers some of the most robust email tools and spam filtering on the market, along with 15GB of free storage space, which should be plenty for space for most users.
Regardless of the reason for needing a new Gmail account, I'll walk you through the process and we can have it set up in about a minute.
Here's how to create a new Gmail account:
- Navigate to the Google Account sign-up page.
- Fill in your name, a unique username/email, and a password comprised of at least 8 characters including letters, numbers and symbols.
- Click Next.
- Enter your date of birth and select a response for the gender inquiry.
- You may enter a phone number and/or email address as account recovery options, but this is optional. We don't recommend using your phone number as a 2FA or recovery option, but the recovery email can be helpful. When enabled, you'll receive an email whenever a new device logs into your Gmail account.
- Click Next.
- Read the Privacy and Terms.
- Most people won't read everything, but you should click on More Options and decide whether you would like to opt-out of some of Google's activity tracking. This will impact the personalization of ads and content, but if privacy is more important to you, then choose to not have Google save or use this data.
- Click Agree.
That's it! You are the proud owner of a new Gmail account and Google will automatically take you to your inbox and provide instructions on how to use the account. There's no limit to the number of Gmail accounts that you can have, so if you need another one in the future, just follow these instructions again. Happy emailing!
Sean Riley has been covering tech professionally for over a decade now. Most of that time was as a freelancer covering varied topics including phones, wearables, tablets, smart home devices, laptops, AR, VR, mobile payments, fintech, and more. Sean is the resident mobile expert at Laptop Mag, specializing in phones and wearables, you'll find plenty of news, reviews, how-to, and opinion pieces on these subjects from him here. But Laptop Mag has also proven a perfect fit for that broad range of interests with reviews and news on the latest laptops, VR games, and computer accessories along with coverage on everything from NFTs to cybersecurity and more.
How To Create a Gmail Account For Your Child
Gmail is a free email service developed by Google. Users can access Gmail on the web, tablets, and smartphones as well as with third-party programs that synchronize email content.
Email accounts may seem relatively harmless, but kids as young as five often have their own email address for their online activities. It is nearly impossible to create an online profile without an email address. That said, an unchecked email address is a potential access point for your child to correspond with people you do not know.
For Kids Under 13
For children under 13, Google Accounts will need to be created with an app called Family Link, which you can also use to supervise their Google Accounts.
How to create a Google Account for children under 13
- Download the Family Link app.
- Open the Family Link app.
- In the top right, tap Create or +.
- Follow the instructions on screen to create your child’s account.
- When you're done, a confirmation will show on the screen.
How Gmail accounts are different for kids under 13
For the most part, Gmail will be the same for children as it is for adults. There are only a few Gmail features that aren't available to children under
- Ads: Google won't serve ads in Gmail or process Gmail messages for advertising purposes.
- Automatic forwarding: Children can't automatically forward emails to another email address.
- Gmail offline: If their device isn't connected to the internet, children can’t read, send, or search their Gmail emails.
- Google+: Children can't use any Google+ features available in Gmail.
- Labs: Children can’t turn on experimental Gmail features.
- Mail delegation: Children can't give someone else access to read, send, or delete their emails.
- Spam: If Gmail identifies an email as spam, it won't get delivered to your child's inbox or spam folder.
For Kids Over 13
How to create filters
When setting up a Gmail account for a child, it is best to set up filters to ensure they do not receive unwanted emails. The filter setting limits who can contact your child via email. If you'd like to add more people to the filter, you can do so from the accounts settings.
- Sign into your child's Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Click Create a New Filter and follow the prompts to create a custom filter.
- Opt to have the emails that don't fit into the filter deleted, rather than sent to spam to ensure your child cannot access them.
How to check your child's email from your account
As an added layer of protection, you can choose to receive and view your child's email on your account. Adding an account is not the same as email forwarding. The messages will remain in your child's inbox, but give you access to the messages via separate folders.
- Enter the Settings section of your own Gmail account using the gear icon at the top of the inbox.
- Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
- Click on Add Account.
- Enter the email address and password that you would like to import.
- The added account should be your child's email account.
How to block an email address from contacting your child
- Open the offending email.
- In the top right of the message, click More.
- Then, click Block [sender].
- If you blocked someone by mistake, you can unblock them using these same steps.
How To Set Up Google Family Link
Google Family Link is an app that allows parents to view their child’s smartphone activity, manage the apps they can use and download, set screen time limits, lock their device, and even track their location.
Family Link does not block inappropriate content, but some apps have their own filtering options. Google apps, such as Search and Chrome, have filtering options that you can find in Family Link. For parents of teens 13 and older, Restricted Mode on YouTube is an optional setting that can be used to help filter out mature content. However, Google notes that these filters are not perfect, so explicit, graphic, or other content you may not want your child to see makes it through sometimes.
Kids and teens that use Android devices running version or higher can use Family Link. Some devices running Android versions and may be able to run Family Link. Parents can use Family Link on any Android devices running versions and higher as well as iPhones running iOS9 and higher.
Click hereto learn how to set up Google Family Link.
How to Monitor Your Child’s Gmail Account with Bark
Bark’s award-winning service monitors your child's sent and received emails, including attachments and chats. Parents will receive alerts if Bark detects potential issues like cyberbullying, depression, suicidal ideation, online predators, and more.
Make sure you’ve created a Bark account (either during your free trial or as a subscriber).
Visit your dashboard.
Select the menu 💬 and click Add device or app.
Choose Content monitoring.
Scroll down until you see the email section and select Gmail.
From this screen, you can choose to enter in your child’s username and password, or they can do it themselves.
You’re all set! Bark will immediately begin monitoring their account.
How to Set Up a New Gmail Account for Yourself or Others
By Megan Ellis
If you want to make a Gmail account for yourself or another person, here's everything you need to know.
Setting up a new Gmail account is relatively simple: whether you're creating one for yourself or for another person. If you're starting on Gmail for the first time, just setting up a new Gmail address, or creating the account for someone else, the process is similar.
Here's everything you need to know about how to create a new Gmail account for others or for yourself.
How to Set Up a New Gmail Account
- To set up a new Gmail account, you will need to go to the Gmail website and select Create an account.
- If you are already signed into a Gmail account, you will need to select the top-right icon and choose Add another account on the dropdown menu. This will then take you to a page where you can get started adding the details for your new account.
- You then need to add the details for fields for first name, last name, username, and password. It's important to note the username will appear in the new Gmail email address as [email protected] For the username, you can use letters, numbers, and periods.
- When you have filled in the necessary details, click Next.
- On the next page, Google will then ask you to verify your phone number. Enter your number and click Next. You will receive a verification code that you then need to enter.
- Once verified, you'll see a page saying “Welcome to Google” with your new Gmail account. Here you can choose whether to keep your phone number linked to your account and whether you want to add a recovery email address.
- You'll need to enter your date of birth and the gender field to proceed. Once you have done this, select Next.
Related: How to Import and Manage Multiple Email Accounts in Gmail
How to Make a Gmail Account for Someone Else
If you want to create a new Gmail account for others, such as a relative, the process is the same. However, there are some important things to take note of during the setup process.
Firstly, make sure you are not adding the account as an additional address to your existing Google account. Either sign out of Google, or use your browser in incognito mode to start a fresh account for the other person.
When entering the details for the other person's account, make sure to enter the details of the person the account is for, rather than your own. Also, make sure that the username reflects that person's desired username.
Read more: How to Use a Custom Email Address With Gmail for Professional Emails
When verifying the account by phone, make sure that the person sends you the verification code so that you can complete the setup for them. You can also use your own number for the verification step and just remove it from the account afterwards.
You will also need to provide them with the login username and password for their account so that they can sign in.
If they have an existing email account on another platform, set this as the recovery email for the Gmail account. This allows them to reset the password after you've handed over the account, as well as recover the password if they forget it.
Easy Email Setup With Gmail
Setting up a new Gmail account is really simple, and switching between and managing multiple accounts is easy enough too if you link accounts.
Getting to know these easy yet powerful features of your Google account can open up a lot of productivity options for you.
Google Tasks combines well with Gmail. Here's how to make the most out of their features.
Read NextAbout The Author
Megan decided to unite her Honors Degree in New Media and lifetime of geekiness to pursue a career in tech and gaming journalism. You can usually find her writing about a variety of topics and drooling over new gadgets and games.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join our newsletter for tech tips, reviews, free ebooks, and exclusive deals!
Click here to subscribe
Account create gmail
You will also be interested:
- Carports central texas
- Unh admitted students
- X box remote control
- The office quotes t shirts
- Bootstrap add button
- Makita battery concrete saw